Bathroom planning checklistback to article list
Firstly, ask yourself the following:
- What design style are you drawn to? (e.g. minimalist, Scandi, classic)
- Have you determined your budget?
- Have you checked your calendar for the most convenient time of year to renovate?
- Have you considered a backup bathroom for while you renovate?
- Have you considered powder room needs as well as practical needs?
- How much space is there?
- Will you be extending your bathroom?
- Shower, bath or both?
- How much storage is required?
- Is there someone in the family who requires mobility support?
Out of the following, what features are important to you and your home?
- Design, Style + Layout
- Floors - ceramic tiles, laminate, terrazzo, engineered wood
- Wall finish - wet surfaces, paint, tiles
- New shower - cubicle, walk-in or room for two
- New bath - spa bath, freestanding or alcove
- Windows - outside view or frosted glass
- Natural light - big windows or skylights
- Separate toilet room
- Wet room
Storage + Cabinetry
- Lockable medicine cabinet
- Space for other items - scales, rubbish bin
- Shelves/drawers for toiletries, towels, make-up or other
- New cupboards, or new doors and handles
- Laundry cabinet
- Built-in shower storage
- Ladder shelf
- Laundry area for dirty washing, ironing, cleaning items
- Hot water tank - electric/gas, instant water heater
- Wiring for TV, music or internet
- Powerpoints - hair and grooming appliances
- Good task lighting - makeup, magnifying mirrors
- General lighting - feature lighting for effects or dimmers
- Underfloor heating or radiator
- Heated towel rail
- Ventilation - vents or automatic fan
- Future-proofing - grab bars, non-slip tiles, walk-in shower
- Bathroom window treatments - blinds, shutters
- Dressing - full-length mirrors, robe hooks
- Showerhead - rainfall style, handheld or wall mounted
- Mirror - fog-less, wall-mounted, pivot, illuminated
- New taps or fixtures
- New toilet
- Double basin - wall hung or other
- Bathroom splashback
- New vanity - laminate, marble, wood, granite, concrete or other
- Other privacy considerations
Interested in renovating your bathroom? Want inspiration? Have a look at our Bathroom projects.
This article featured in Issue 30 of Renovate Magazine. Renovate Magazine is an easy to use resource providing fresh inspiration and motivation at every turn of the page.
If you would like to discuss home renovation options for your next renovation project, please use the enquiry form on this page to provide us with your contact details. We will get in touch with you at a time that suits you to discuss your project. If you would like to provide us with more information about your project, we have a more comprehensive enquiry form on our "Get in touch" page too.
*All information is believed to be true at time of publishing and is subject to change.